Skip to main content

Thomas Norton - 1865 Blog Post - Zoe Nguyen

To : My Dear Harriet, Our beautiful six children, and papa Jonathan,


I have very good news to share -- I am coming home very soon! The war just ended, and I have very much to tell everyone. I cannot wait to come home and get bombarded with the sweet smell of my pretty wife's delicious chocolate chip cookies, the hugs from my six children, and a kiss from my dad. I have so much to say about this war.

When I got drafted into this war, I was a little nervous, but I was determined to fight for my country. I was earned my rank, as a Corporal. Ever since I had this experience, I have been stronger mentally and physically. I only got shot in the arm one time, but at least I didn't get a runner's wound like 5 other soldiers did. There were so many casualties, I was so lucky I didn't die or get injured very harshly.I would tell this to you guys face to face, but I think that you would be too bored with the story, so I'm writing this so if you do ever get bored of this story, you can stop and read it another day. It's fine though, I won't get mad. I get annoyed sometimes too. Like when General McClellan was being to cautious of himself and was saying that he wasn't going to go, man I wanted to give that man a dang spank in the butt. But he is part of the reason why the Union won today, so I am very proud of him.

On April 2, 1865, I was one of the many soldiers ordered to march to Richmond, Virginia, to take over the city. When we were finally there, we took the whole city, and set everything on fire. I'd never thought that I had the ability to do that, but I somewhat helped put a whole city on fire. We then marched to Saylor's Creek, which was my last battle ever in the Civil War. General Lee then surrendered at the Appomattox's Courthouse! I was so glad he surrendered. This was all over and I can get back to you guys, my loving family, and where my heart is at home the most. After General Lee surrounded, we were actually kind of nice to the Confederacy. They got to keep their personal arms and horses, and even get 25,000 ration meals. I didn't expect us to be this nice, but then again, Union Unite! We may used to be enemies with one another, but now that we are joined together, we got to help each other. Also then again, Abraham Lincoln is president, and he is a nice , and very tall man.

Then the sweet president, Abraham Lincoln was assassinated. He got shot by that stupid John Wilkes Booth, and I wanted to give him a taste of his own medicine so bad. But of course I didn't and kids, don't ever do that. The story of how he got assassinated was actually very different from what people expected. If you hadn't looked in the newspaper, he got shot while watching the play "Our American Cousin". Then he died the next morning. His assassination has given our whole regiment a very deep mourning. Oh what a shame that he passed away. I will encourage you guys to pray for him, and for that all he has done for this country.

I miss you all very much. I will come home very soon, and we can all play cards together. I can't wait to see you guys again!



                                                                               -Your Husband/Father/Son,
                                                                                           Thomas Norton


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Enlistment Blog - Zoe Nguyen - Thomas Norton

Hello Fellow Regiments,
 My name is Thomas Norton. I can tell you one thing about myself, which is i love my wife choclate chip cookeys! They are the best thing in da world, and when i eat them, the choclate chips just melt in my mouth. It is so very delicious! I miss my lovely wife Harriet at home. I would love to come and see my very beautiful wife and her choclate chip cookys. I also need to say sory if I have a lot of words spell wrong, my education wasn't the very best back then. I am very exited to fight for the union, and it its my pleasure to. I promiss that I will always try my hardest like I do at home. I do expect a lot from you all. As I was saying about my favorite food to be choclate chip cookys, my least favorite is potatoes. If i had to eat a potato, it would bee the last thing i would eat! Few years back when I live in Ireland, there was a big breakout of potato blight. It scarred me for life, which was why I move to Springfield Illinois. I am proud man fighting f…

Civil War Blog 1861 - Thomas Norton - Zoe Nguyen

Click There >>>>>>>      Link to News Report Video     <<<<<<<Click There

News Script:

 Hello, I am Elizabeth Corray reporting from Civil News. Today is July 23 1861, and today on the line, is that a battle between the Union, and the Confederacy has started a few days ago. After eleven states seceded from the union, battles have going on between the union, and the confederacy. On July 16, 1861, 37,000 voluntary soldiers from the Union army marched into Virginia, with the intent of cutting the railroad at Manassas and moving to Richmond onward. The Union was ready to go, felt confident, and felt like it was another normal day, but indeed it wasn’t. Under the command of General Beauregard, 22,000 Confederate troops headed out North. General Beauregard had knew the plan the Union’s strategy , from a Confederate Spy. Then, General Beauregard deployed an  8 mile line of Confederate troops on one side of Bullrun Creek, with their artillery, staying …